DONATE

Friday, September 6, 2013

Look at Black-American History to Comprehend Pakistani-Christian Persecution

Dhimmitude Defined

John R. Houk
© September 6, 2013

Shamim Masih has an article about the injustice of Christians living among the Sunni majority of Pakistan. I am a little late in posting his article because somehow I lost it in my inbox. I had the thought that we Americans have grown too used to our Constitutional Liberty and Freedom. Thinking about the plight of Christians in Pakistan, I thought it might be a good time to bring a snapshot from our history in the USA.

Slave life in the USA is an embarrassment of Civil Rights proponents and to those who believe in the Original Intent of the U.S. Constitution. Check out some excerpts of a house slave named Harriet Jacobs that wrote with the pen name of Linda Brent.

Mrs. Flint, like many southern women, was totally deficient in energy. She had not strength to superintend her household affairs; but her nerves were so strong, that she could sit in her easy chair and see a woman whipped, till the blood trickled from every stroke of the lash. She was a member of the church; but partaking of the Lord's supper did not seem to put her in a Christian frame of mind. If dinner was not served at the exact time on that particular Sunday, she would station herself in the kitche n, and wait till it was dished, and then spit in all the kettles and pans that had been used for cooking. She did this to prevent the cook and her children from eking out their meagre fare with the remains of the gravy and other scrapings. The slaves could get nothing to eat except what she chose to give them. Provisions were weighed out by the pound and ounce, three times a day. I can assure you she gave them no chance to eat wheat bread from her flour barrel. She knew how many biscuits a quart of flour would make, and exactly what size they ought to be.
 
Dr. Flint was an epicure. The cook never sent a dinner to his table without fear and trembling; for if there happened to be a dish not to his liking, he would either order her to be whipped, or compel her to eat every mouthful of it in his presence. The poor, hungry creature might not have objected to eating it; but she did not object to having her master cram it down her throat till she choked.
 
They had a pet dog, that was a nuisance in the house. The cook was ordered to make some Indian mush for him. He refused to eat, and when his head was held over it, the froth flowed from his mouth into the basin. He died a few minutes after. When Dr. Flint came in, he said the mush had not been well cooked, and that was the reason the animal would not eat it. He sent for the cook, and compelled her to eat it. He thought that the woman's stomach was stronger than the dog's; but her sufferings afterwards proved that he was mistaken. This poor woman endured many cruelties from her master and mistress; sometimes she was locked up, away from her nursing baby, for a whole day and night.

When I had been in the family a few weeks, one of the plantation slaves was brought to town, by order of his master. It was near night when he arrived, and Dr. Flint ordered him to be taken to the work house, and tied up to the joist, so that his feet would just escape the ground. In that situation he was to wait till the doctor had taken his tea. I shall never forget that night. Never before, in my life, had I heard hundreds of blows fall, in succession, on a human being. His piteous groans, and his "O, pray don't, massa," rang in my ear for months afterwards. There were many conjectures as to the cause of this terrible punishment. Some said master accused him of stealing corn; others said the slave had quarrelled with his wife, in presence of the overseer, and had accused his master of being the father of her child. They were both black, and the child was very fair.
 
I went into the work house next morning, and saw the cowhide still wet with blood, and the boards all covered with gore. The poor man lived, and continued to quarrel with his wife. A few months afterwards Dr. Flint handed them both over to a slave-trader. The guilty man put their value into his pocket, and had the satisfaction of knowing that they were out of sight and hearing. When the mother was delivered into the trader's hands, she said, "You promised to treat me well." To which he replied, "You have let your tongue run too far; damn you!" She had forgotten that it was a crime for a slave to tell who was the father of her child. (Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl: Chapter II - THE NEW MASTER AND MISTRESS; By Harriet Jacobs (nom de plume: Linda Brent); Original Publication – 1861 Boston; Edited by Maria Child)

 Here is another Chapter from Harriet Jacobs the former slave in America.

DURING the first years of my service in Dr. Flint's family, I was accustomed to share some indulgences with the children of my mistress. Though this seemed to me no more than right, I was grateful for it, and tried to merit the kindness by the faithful discharge of my duties. But I now entered on my fifteenth year--a sad epoch in the life of a slave girl. My master began to whisper foul words in my ear. Young as I was, I could not remain ignorant of their import. I tried to treat them with indifference or contempt. The master's age, my extreme youth, and the fear that his conduct would be reported to my grandmother, made him bear this treatment for many months. He was a crafty man, and resorted to many means to accomplish his purposes. Sometimes he had stormy, terrific ways, that made his victims tremble; sometimes he assumed a gentleness that he thought must surely subdue. Of the two, I preferred his stormy moods, although they left me trembling. He tried his utmost to corrupt the pure principles my grandmother had instilled. He peopled my young mind with unclean images, such as only a vile monster could think of. I turned from him with disgust and hatred. But he was my master. I was compelled to live under the same roof with him--where I saw a man forty years my senior daily violating the most sacred commandments of nature. He told me I was his property; that I must be subject to his will in all things. …

… She will be compelled to realize that she is no longer a child. If God has bestowed beauty upon her, it will prove her greatest curse. That which commands admiration in the white woman only hastens the degradation of the female slave. I know that some are too much brutalized by slavery to feel the humiliation of their position; but many slaves feel it most acutely, and shrink from the memory of it. I cannot tell how much I suffered in the presence of these wrongs, nor how I am still pained by the retrospect. My master met me at every turn, reminding me that I belonged to him, and swearing by heaven and earth that he would compel me to submit to him. …


In view of these things, why are ye silent, ye free men and women of the north? Why do your tongues falter in maintenance of the right? Would that I had more ability! But my heart is so full, and my pen is so weak! There are noble men, and women who plead for us, striving to help those who cannot help themselves. God bless them! God give them strength and courage to go on! God bless those, every where, who are laboring to advance the cause of humanity!  (Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl: Chapter V - THE TRIALS OF GIRLHOOD; By Harriet Jacobs (nom de plume: Linda Brent); Original Publication – 1861 Boston; Edited by Maria Child)

And in another chapter by Harriet Jacobs she describes the jealousy of her Master’s wife. The sad part is even after exposer Harriet’s Master did not care. Evidently according to Harriet’s observation many a wife of a Master were aware of sexual relations between their husbands and slave girls but were forced the indignity of living with it.


After a while my mistress sent for me to come to her room. Her first question was, "Did you know you were to sleep in the doctor's room?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"Who told you?"

"My master."

"Will you answer truly all the questions I ask?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"Tell me, then, as you hope to be forgiven, are you innocent of what I have accused you?"

"I am.”

She handed me a Bible, and said, "Lay your hand on your heart, kiss this holy book, and swear before God that you tell me the truth."

I took the oath she required, and I did it with a clear conscience.

"You have taken God's holy word to testify your innocence,' said she. “If you have deceived me, beware! Now take this stool, sit down, look me directly in the face, and tell me all that has passed between your master and you. "

I did as she ordered. As I went on with my account her color changed frequently, she wept, and sometimes groaned. She spoke in tones so sad, that I was touched by her grief. The tears came to my eyes; but I was soon convinced that her emotions arose from anger and wounded pride. She felt that her marriage vows were desecrated, her dignity insulted; but she had no compassion for the poor victim of her husband's perfidy. She pitied herself as a martyr; but she was incapable of feeling for the condition of shame and misery in which her unfortunate, helpless slave was placed.


My mistress grew weary of her vigils; they did not prove satisfactory. She changed her tactics. She now tried the trick of accusing my master of crime, in my presence, and gave my name as the author of the accusation. To my utter astonishment, he replied, "I don't believe it; but if she did acknowledge it, you tortured her into exposing me." Tortured into exposing him! Truly, Satan had no difficulty in distinguishing the color of his soul! I understood his object in making this false representation. It was to show me that I gained nothing by seeking the protection of my mistress; that the power was still all in his own hands. I pitied Mrs. Flint. She was a second wife, many years the junior of her husband; and the hoary-headed miscreant was enough to try the patience of a wiser and better woman. She was completely foiled, and knew not how to proceed. She would gladly have had me flogged for my supposed false oath; but, as I have already stated, the doctor never allowed any one to whip me. …


Southern women often marry a man knowing that he is the father of many little slaves. They do not trouble themselves about it. They regard such children as property, as marketable as the pigs on the plantation; and it is seldom that they do not make them aware of this by passing them into the slave-trader's hands as soon as possible, and thus getting them out of their sight. I am glad to say there are some honorable exceptions.

I have myself known two southern wives who exhorted their husbands to free those slaves towards whom they stood in a "parental relation;" and their request was granted. These husbands blushed before the superior nobleness of their wives' natures. Though they had only counselled them to do that which it was their duty to do, it commanded their respect, and rendered their conduct more exemplary. Concealment was at an end, and confidence took the place of distrust.

Though this bad institution deadens the moral sense, even in white women, to a fearful extent, it is not altogether extinct. I have heard southern ladies say of Mr. Such a one, "He not only thinks it no disgrace to be the father of those little niggers, but he is not ashamed to call himself their master. I declare, such things ought not to be tolerated in any decent society!" (Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl: Chapter VI - THE JEALOUS MISTRESS; By Harriet Jacobs (nom de plume: Linda Brent); Original Publication – 1861 Boston; Edited by Maria Child)  

Christians in Islamic dominant nations too often live a life of a near slave. There may not be quite the White-Master/Black-Slave relationship among Muslims and Christians in Islamic nations; nevertheless Christians suffer today much like the freed Black Slaves have from the end of Civil War until the Civil Rights Movement has upped the stakes in opportunity for Black-Americans in a White Majority nation. There is still a ways to go for Black-Americans in the USA but for different reasons for being former slaves. Black-Americans lived so long as a Second Class Citizen in the USA that many have wasted the opportunity to upgrade their economic and educational situation. Leftists in America have taken advantage of Black-Americans by continually reminding them they were the victims of pre-Civil Rights oppression. This victimhood has forced a too large amount of Black Americans to congregate in poor urban areas in which many are dependent on the hand of the government for economic viability. No one moves in an upward mobile economic path from the static of the government hand-out. Being forced into static economic poverty by the government many Black-Americans are dependent and used to their government paycheck. Lack of opportunity and poverty coupled with American Leftists’ efforts to remove Christian morality out of American society have made Black-American urban communities a training ground for crime. I suspect Christian branded people in Islamic dominated nations are in the same situation that pre-Civil Rights Black-Americans experienced.

So think on this while you read Shamim Masih’s article about persecution and society neglect Pakistani-Christians live with every day.

JRH 9/6/13
************************************
Constitution Avenue will Remain Quiet until you Sleep

By Shamim Masih
Sent: 8/25/2013 12:51 PM

ISLAMABAD: The distribution is not absolutely equal among the whole population, thus, demarcate among various socioeconomic groups of a country. One of the worst outcomes of income inequality is poverty, considered to be fatal for any nation’s development because poverty breeds more poverty which engulfs the whole nation. According to the World Bank, poverty manifests itself in many forms across time and place but it is an alarming sign, and experts call for action so that many others can be saved from becoming its victims.

It is reported that the poverty rate among ethnic minority groups especially Christians in Pakistan is twice as much as for Muslims. People in minority ethnic communities are being overlooked for jobs and are being paid lower wages, despite improvements in education and qualifications. A research organization has found that religious minorities in Pakistan are deliberately kept low in census-figures to deny them greater representation. Already Pakistan is listed seventh amongst top ten countries notorious to be dangerous for religious minorities. Even then the rulers are not serious to solve the issues. The present government (PML-N) does not have minorities’ support since they are engulfing to deny minorities their rights. Although I don’t support to celebrate minorities’ day and I see no cause for celebrating 11 August as Minorities Day. It is an aspersion on the Pakistan movement and the dream that was Pakistan. Even then it is observed that PML-N didn’t take any interest in minorities’ day.

The idea of an exclusive day for minorities that both Cecil Chaudry and Shahbaz Bhatti pushed has nothing to do with celebration. It was the beginning of a vibrant struggle that seems to peter away. The purpose was to reawaken Pakistanis across the entire [socio-political] spectrum to the reality of Muhammad Ali Jinnah’s speech that underlined the need to cut across all religious, ethnic and sub nationalist divides to work for Pakistani nationalism. In any case, this day is rather a rejoinder that the Pakistani establishment and people are yet to live up to the dream of its founding father. If anything, it remains a black day for all Pakistanis that include religious minorities and suppressed groups.

It is time to contemplate and act. Three Christian human rights activists that formed a formidable trio are no more with us. Bishop John Joseph shot himself in utter frustration. Shahbaz Bhatti was assassinated fighting for the release of Aasia Bibi and before that trying to bring the culprits of Gojra, Sambrial and Gujranwala to book. Cecil, fighting his last battle with cancer died a few years ago. So where are those who will now carry the baton?

Let us face the realities that haunt Pakistan in real time. With them no more amongst us, the chronology of events leading to Minority Day, leaves is no room to rejoice. It is a call for action. It is a reminder that the struggle must continue towards a plural and egalitarian Pakistan. And I am in the favor that this day should therefore as Brigadier Samson Simon Sharaf suggests be called a National Solidarity Day. In any case, these objectives cannot be achieved by one single community. It takes two to tango and in this Wild Pakistan we see today, it would take many more to despise hate and shake hands.

11 August 1947 is a far cry and lots of water has passed under the bridge. Pakistan is now divided beyond religious lines. Ethnicity, sectarianism, sub nationalism and militancy are all eating into the foundations of the country like a cancer whose tentacles have spread everywhere. The revulsion from within can only bring an internal change and hence the revival of Jinnah’s dream formulated with the close association of Christians, Hindus, Parsees, Baloch, Pashtuns and Sindhies. To jubilant of Minority day I say, ‘you have no desire and you can never do it alone’.

There was something ironic about 11 August this year. I saw the biggest joker of Christian rights in Pakistan - Julius Salik - join the election campaign of Advocate Ashraf Gujjar for NA 48. Yes he is the same Gujjar who garlanded Mumtaz Qadri and who feels he must be released. He is the same Mumtaz, who took law into his own hands and killed Salman Taseer before his blasphemous guilt could be proved. This is an ugly side of one of our leaders who is a self-proclaimed champion of human rights while he has done nothing practically for their rights. I found Basharat Khokhar better at helping Christians in Islamabad then this leader. J Salik arranged commiseration for Qazi Husain Ahmad after his death but has not spoken a single word for Shahbaz Bhatti. Qazi Husain Ahmad was the chief of Jammet e Islami – JI, a fundamentalist religious organization.

Again for the local bodies’ election to be held till September 15 as Supreme Court order, big Muslim political parties will bring puppets from minorities. There is no right to minorities to elect their representatives who can be their voice.
 
I am giving a wakeup call to all religious minorities in Pakistan, which may be the last chance to contribute before a local body election. We need to stand against discrimination hand in hand with all oppressed people of Pakistan. If the authorities don’t agree to give us our rights; we need to carve our space in Pakistan. We are sons of this land and we made Pakistan happen. I want the nation to stand up at once for their rights.

Be Blessed,
Shamim Masih
__________________________
Look at Black-American History to Comprehend Pakistani-Christian Persecution

John R. Houk
© September 6, 2013
________________________
Constitution Avenue will Remain Quiet until you Sleep

© Shamim Masih
Edited by John R. Houk
Brackets are insertions by the Editor

Snapshot of Human Rights Activism from 2011
Christian Rights Activist
Freelance Journalist 
Secretary General
Shamim Masih’s Donate/Support info:

FOR USD TRANSFER.
Intermediary Bank:                         MASHREQ BANK, NEW YORK
Intermediary Bank SWIFT BIC:         MSHQUS33
Beneficiary Bank:                         JS BANK LIMITED
Beneficiary Bank SWIFT BIC:                 JSBLPKKA
Bank A/c # at Intermediary bank:         70008227
Title Of a/c                                Shamim Masih
Beneficiary Account Number:                 405527

Top of Form
IBAN #                                        pk80jsbl9530000000405227


FOR GBP TRANSFER.
Intermediary Bank:                         MASHREQ BANK, LONDON
Intermediary Bank SWIFT BIC:         MSHQGB2L
Beneficiary Bank:                         JS BANK LIMITED
Beneficiary Bank SWIFT BIC:                 JSBLPKKA
Bank A/c # at Intermediary bank:         00010855
Title Of a/c                                Shamim Masih
Beneficiary Account Number:                 405527
IBAN #                                        pk80jsbl9530000000405227



FOR EURO TRANSFER.
Intermediary Bank:                         MASHREQ BANK, LONDON
Intermediary Bank SWIFT BIC:         MSHQGB2L
Beneficiary Bank:                         JS BANK LIMITED
Beneficiary Bank SWIFT BIC:                 JSBLPKKA
Bank A/c # at Intermediary bank:         10847
Title Of a/c                                Shamim Masih
Beneficiary Account Number:                 405527
IBAN #                                        pk80jsbl9530000000405227
Bottom of Form

No comments:

Post a Comment